Saturday, October 25, 2008

Two Movies, One Website

Tonight I ended up watching Beetlejuice with my roomies. Few things. For one, I do like a good Tim Burton movie, let me just say. Secondly, it's cool to know a movie I liked as a kid I still like now, though there's lots I appreciate about it now that I didn't then. Funny how some things you enjoy as a kind, you don't care much for as a grown up, but other things stick with you. Finally, I have to say I really love the visual style of the movie. I mean, there's the trademark Tim Burton things, the stripes, the crazy angles, the dead, dead, dead. But what I liked about this movie in particular was the looks Lydia and her step mother had going. Lydia had the goth thing, obviously, which I'll always love, but the step-mom had this look going that was trendy-artsy eighties with a slight gothic edge to it as well. Nothing I'd ever wear, but really fun to look at.

This reminds me of watching Penelope the other day; I really liked the look of that movie as well. The house was great, Penelope's room in particular, as it had to have all kinds of things to make up for the fact that she could never leave the house. I loved the trees and the Autumn leaves and all the cold weather wear. The city was neat, both modern and quaint at once. The scenes where she sees the world for the first time are beautiful and magical to look at. And I absolutely loved Penelope's look. Modern, but a bit old fashioned at the same time, all skirts and heels and tights, but without coming across as too uptight and done. Mostly classic, simple shapes, but colourful and cutesy and different without being at all over the top. Love it, love it, love it. And that James McAvoy guy was all right too. ;)

Anyway, here's one more thing just because I feel like adding it. It's a link to a website I heard about on CBC yesterday, pretty fun if you enjoy sneaking little glimpses into other people's lives. Have fun!

http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.com/

No comments: