Tuesday, December 30, 2008

High Hopes

As 2009 approaches, I find myself feeling more optimistic about my future than ever before. It's probably just that psychological clean slate thing, but I'm feeling very hopeful for all I'm going to accomplish in this coming year and all that's going to happen.

The fixed time where one year ends and another begins is just something we made up, I understand that. But frankly, the timing couldn't be better. It comes shortly after Xmas, just when everything we've been building up to for the last month or so is over and we're settling down and thinking 'what's next?' It gives meaning to a month that is otherwise grey and dull and a little empty. And yes, while I acknowledge that we could thrust our fists into the air and say, "I'm making some changes for the better!," any time that we wanted too, there's something about that established once-a-year time where everything officially starts fresh that's terrifically motivating. During this time, it's somehow less difficult to put our pasts behind us and focus on the possibility our presents and futures hold.

So what is it I'm feeling so darn hopeful about? Creatively, many things. I've got grand plans for a big new project (or maybe two) I'd like to start soon, as well as many more little ideas for my current work. Seg's got a super fantastic camera coming in the mail, so I'm hoping with his help I can get some great photos taken of my work. And with those photos, a website should be in the works as well.

It's not all fun stuff though. I also intend to keep getting better at treating this creative stuff like a job. Learning to focus on my work when I'm producing at home, to take it as seriously as I did when I was in school is still something I'd like to get better at. It's easy to convince yourself it's not that important when no one else seems to take it very seriously, but why should they? It's up to me to show everyone how important it is, not the other way around.

More than anything, thinking about my youngest brother the other day made me realize how much I've got left to do. It occured to me the other day that by the time he's 18, I'll be 30. Not that old, really, I realize. But if I reach that age and still feel like I'm waiting to grow up, it would be a bit of a blow, I think. I want a home by then, I want a car and a bit of security. I want to have established myself as an artist and a designer. I want to feel less like I'm just standing and limply flailing my arms about.

I've got other goals I'll need to attain in order to make this happen, some financial, some organizational, some spiritual. But mostly, I want to keep developing as a creative person with a creative career, because that's what I want to build most of that other stuff around.

I'm curious to hear if any one else is setting goals or making resolutions or just has plans. Tell me, tell me, if you want to. And check out this website too. It's all about making a list of goals, seeing who else hopes to achieve the same things, getting encouragement and tips from others.

Good luck friends, see you all in 2009!

http://www.43things.com/

No comments: