Monday, January 5, 2009

I've been thinking a lot lately about folks I miss. I've met and become close with a lot of people over the course of my life time so far...high school friends, college friends, people I've worked with, roommates. Any number of little things will make me think of these people and miss them. Some, I visit with. Some pop in and see me. I'll receive a telephone call or a letter or see some pictures on facebook and instantly be reminded of how much I enjoy this particular person and be filled with like and love for them.

Many of the people I no longer see often live around the city; I met many of them while at school. Sometimes, when I'm feeling a little lonely or nostalgic for these people and certain things they brought into my life, it's tempting to pull up and move back down South. But that saying about the grass being greener certainly applies here. There are many people I have in my life right now I'd miss a great deal should I move. My parents, grandparents, best friends, little children, even people at work who I still barely know are a pleasant addition in my life that I would miss should I know longer see them. Besides, the more I think about it, the more I realize my loved ones are all over the map. Toronto, Oakville, Sudbury, Orton, Ottawa, Halifax, Singapore.... I've gotten to a point in my life where I'm close to more people that will stay in one place any more. My friends all have lives of their own to lead and no matter where I go, there's simply no way I could be with them all.

In some senses, it's almost a relief. Realizing there's no way I can chase after my friends takes a bit of the pressure off. I can't really worry if I'd be happier living somewhere else with the knowledge that everywhere I could go would take away as much as it would offer. But it's not hopeless either. I've recieved so much good love over the last little while. A phone call from Kitchener, a letter from Halifax. A Toronto friend popped into my work to say hello. My aunt from China brought her baby home for Xmas. Another pair of Toronto friends, heading North, happened to stop into Huntsville tonight for a bite to eat. And in the hour or so they were here, I was lucky enough to run into them.

I guess what I'm saying is that if people mean enough to you (and you mean enough to people) things may change, but you'll still remain a part of each other's lives. It may be a big part or a little one, frequently or rather seldom, planned or even by ridiculous chance, it's still lovely and it's still something. Like the friend I saw tonight said, it must have been meant to happen.

No comments: