Friday, November 7, 2008

Feeling Pretty Stoked

Yowza. Just came from downtown. It's funny.....just when it seems I'm starting to run out of stimulation, when I think I'm not getting what I need from this place anymore, I go downtown and recieve so much good stuff that I feel completely the opposite. It's awfully nice.

I was speaking with a gallery about possibly displaying/selling some of my work (went pretty well I think, fingers crossed!). When I came out, I was feeling completely abuzz with excess energy. I'd been really nervous beforehand. I didn't feel entirely ready to present my work, but I knew I would never feel completely ready, and it was getting me down a bit. That lack of confidence can really make one question the validity of what they're doing. But I had a really nice talk beforehand with a woman here in town who's acting as a driving force behind my career and she gave me a lot of motivation and inspiration that I needed. The positive feedback and general exposure to other artsy folks in the gallery helped me touch base with that side of myself a little bit, reminded me that an awesome arts community does exist here. A nice phone call to my mother and genuine conversations I had with two people I ran into on the street afterwards (a casual aquaintance and a best friend) really served to remind me of the other big reason I am still in this town; the people and how great they make me feel.

Yeah. Sometimes if I get too stuck inside routine, work, the house or myself, it's easy to forget why I've chosen to live in the place I do and in the way I do at this point in my life. It's awfully nice to be reminded of why this works, where it's leading, why I'm here.

=)

1 comment:

Fiona said...

I'm glad to hear it!