Sunday, November 2, 2008

Lovely November

I'm feeling pretty good today. I woke up to sun and fresh air and didn't even realize until several hours in that I had forgotten to set the clock back, and was therefore further ahead than I thought. I ade some telephone calls and wrote some e-mails, things that always make me feel productive and responsible even though they're such little accomplishments. (Probably has something to do with the fact that I am oddly scared of the phone. Calling anyone for business, work or even sometimes fun reasons makes me anxious...silly,huh?)

I've got so much work to do with this week on artistic pursuits. A project to finish for one person, two more to design for another. Some work of my own to finish off, as I finally feel ready to show some stores my finished pieces. Another personal project I'm absolutely itching to start. And two local women to speak with about moving forward in the textile world. How exciting to be making these contacts! I'm pretty stoked. And my week has been scheduled in just such a way that I ought to have plenty of time for all of it (famous last words). But still. Feeling good.

Hallowe'en was great. I finished my costume and was utterly pleased with it. Everyone else looked great too. We swung by my mother's place so she could see us all dressed up (just like being a kid again) and then went out to the Hideaway, the only party in town. It was a pretty good time, Seguin even won second place in the costume contest, I was the super-cheesy-proud girlfriend for sure.

It had been a long time since I had a costume idea I was as enthused about as this one, and it had been since grade 13 that I worked so hard on a costume. Now that I'm all finished with it, it goes in the closet, I suppose. My last handmade costume is still there, a white corseted fairy dress made of old sheer curtains. It's been out and used again several times since then, once by my friend Skye, once by Fiona, two or three times by me. I was talking to a woman at work the other day about keeping old costumes for reuse, and now that I'm adding Lydia's wedding dress to the stash, I realize I really like the idea of keeping them all, of building up my own personal costume wardrobe. What fun to have access to a whole variety of dress up possibilities; for Hallowe'en of course, and for lending to others, but for any sort of dress up party, for fun photo shoots, for videos and good times and crazy nights where you might just feel like dressing up. And think what a collection it would be if I did this every year!

Here's some pictures of the costumes. Enjoy!


2 comments:

Fiona said...

Miranda, your costumes are amazing! Great job!!

robinacraftmoney said...

holy shit! well done girl!!

i made mine too...pics coming soon hopefully.

You need a tickle trunk now for all these costumes! :)